Don’t Make any New Year Resolutions
Until you do this: Reflect, Release, Restore
I suggest you make this a written exercise. If it is at the beginning of a New Year or a new season, you may even want to begin a new journal with this exercise. Writing things down gives you clarity and accountability. It is a written record of your thoughts, desires, emotions and the commitments you have made to yourself and the outcomes you want to achieve.
Use the questions for “Reflect, Release and Restore” as journal prompts. This is a fantasic year-end exercise, and it is also a great exercise to do periodically, or when you are going through a transitional time in your life.
Reflect on the past year. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What were my successes?
- What made me the happiest?
- What were my greatest challenges?
- What might I have done better or where would I like to improve?
- What things or experiences am I grateful for?
Are you ready to release the things that are holding you back or that are no longer serving you? What things do you choose not to carry forward with you into a new year? (This can be on an emotional, a physical, a material or a spiritual level).
- What things in my life are no longer serving me? Am I truly ready to release them, and if not, why not?
- What material things in my life do I no longer need? Could I pass them along to someone else or do they need to be thrown away?
- Am I holding onto things in my physical body, such as weight, stress, anxiety, or unprocessed emotions or experiences that I need to release?
- What thoughts or emotions am I having that are not serving me? Is there anyone I need to forgive? Am I ready to let go of toxic thoughts, emotions and old stories?
- Are there any people, situations or circumstances in your life that are not serving your highest and best interests, or may even be toxic. Are you ready to release them and possibly even surrender to the wisdom of uncertainty?
Practice Self-Care. Ask yourself, “What things am I ready to commit to doing that will nourish my mind, body and spirit and help me to show up as my best self each day?
- What things am I willing to commit to doing on a day-to-day basis to nourish my mind-body and spirit?
- What will I commit to doing on a monthly or seasonal basis to nurture and restore myself on all levels? How will I plan for that and make it happen?
- Do I need support? If so, can I ask for support and from whom?